Layers and Transparency

“As a social value, transparency suggests clarity and directness” ( Lupton 155).
_______


As clear as glass

Transparency fosters trust, and trust is important for the health of every relationship. In art, transparency and layers are related phenomena. A transparent square of color appears merely pale or faded until it passes over another shape or surface, allowing a second image to show through itself” (Lupton 480). I feel like this quote perfectly encapsulates my photos for this week. I chose to capture images of the Goldendoodle again. Taking photos of him evokes playful energy that I love incorporating in my photos. Here, the Goldendoodle patiently waits for the right moment to strike his treats. He pounces on them and runs away as the bottles are left crashing, and the aftermath shows them knocked over.





_______
I played with the transparency of glass and how each shadow reflects each bottle's color and shape. The shadows layer over the textured bedding, giving the shape an added texture. From the text, I learned that "no object is fully transparent... The reflective character of glass makes it partially opaque, an attribute that changes depending on light conditions” (Lupton 482). This part resonated with me as I have never thought of colored glass bottles as being opaque and this concept is definitely one I wanted to feature in my images. The last image shows the bottles after my dog knocked them over. This was not planned but I am glad it did because of how the bottles physically layered on top of another. 

Excerpt From: Ellen Lupton. “Graphic Design.” Apple Books

 _______
Scan the QR code to follow my journey on Instagram!




Comments

  1. The appearance of your golden doodle again is exciting! Love how you captured the before, during, and after effect of the golden doodle getting the treats and its adverse effect on the bottles and transparency. I really enjoy your take on the theme! That bedding looks so comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is nicely done. I love how through simple and minimal object, you successfully teach us what Lupton is trying to convey in the reading. I love the photographs they are very mesmerizing and aesthetically pleasing. Keep doing a great job. Always looking forward for your weekly blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The shadow of glass was really beautiful. And the color of the shadow became lighter. I really like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you alwayss have such an original and unique take on each weeks theme. its so refreshing, loved this post and your outlook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used the glass fo transparency. The lighting also added a lot to your images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially liked the first photo. By focusing on the shadow caused by the transparency of the bottles, you allow each one to take on a character of its own, emphasizing the intricate patterns of light that they create.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really how the way the images came out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts