Frame

 “A-frame can serve to either emphasize or downplay its contents” (Lupton 25).

_______

To me, frames hold cherished memories, ideas, accomplishments, and construct the way we view our surroundings. They create circumstances for understanding an image or an object. They are essential in the way we perceive the subject being displayed.  The following passage from the reading was my inspiration for my post this week. “A frame can divide an image from its background, but it can also serve as a transition from inside to outside, figure to ground” (Lupton 352). 


_______

Here, the wine glasses act as a frame, around the dog. The foreground is composed of wine glasses filled with water. Although they are the main figure and are closest to the viewer, the two glasses are positioned in a way to draw the focal point to the Goldendoodle. Our natural gaze follows the stem of the glass, up past the two rays of light, and finally on the dog. I especially love the top left photo and how the water in the glasses acts as its own frame, reflecting and the trees and the dog himself in each glass. While the glass is part of a frame and is also framing another image. To me, the bottom right is my favorite, I like how the movement of the water creates a diagonal line that guides the eyes from the water stream to the brim of the glass and to the dog. “Frames typically serve to contain an image, marking it off from its background in order to make it more visible” (Lupton 352). Frames can be aesthetically pleasing and keep the viewer's focus on the framed object. Just like how the wine glasses frame the dog. It can also be used as a repoussoir, to direct attention back into the scene. Frames add depth to an image and can add a unique point of view to the picture when the frame is thematically related to the object being framed.

Excerpt From: Ellen Lupton. “Graphic Design.” Apple Books. 


Scan the QR code to follow me on Instagram!



Comments

  1. You depicted the quotations really well with your pictures. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used everyday objects to frame the image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these images are beautiful especially with the natural beams of light creating a crystal like effect. The beams of light really do create a framing effect that captures our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you used everyday objects to frame your dog! The light really reflect off of the water and wine glasses so beautiful! It makes our eyes really follow that. I'm waiting to see you in your future photography! Reading your blogs really pulls me back to your blog again and again. Beautiful posts from I'm sure a Beautiful Bea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved your take on this concept. Your images are beautiful!! excellent work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures! Your dog is super cute and adds a nice touch. I liked the way you framed your dog with the glasses!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts