Point, Line, Plane

 
"My two cents"
8x10 in acrylic and sharpie on canvas
    "My two cents" is a painting that I worked on over the Summer. It stemmed from one of my friends telling me to always get "my two cents" in. In other words, this wise friend taught me not to be afraid to use my voice. The original image is in red, but for the purpose of this assignment, I decided to add two more images altering their color, tone, and light. From the reading, this quote stood out to me: “They produce a substantial number of observational drawings of three objects, paying special attention to the appearance of form, color, texture, and materials... The project exposes designers to the iterative design process, building individual capacity for patience, endurance, and an open mind” (Lupton 109). Adding the two other black and white images were intentional. Since all the points and lines are the same, the viewer needs to pay close attention to color, texture, and materials. 

    Looking at a photograph of an image is a different feeling than physically standing in front of the painting. It did not have the same emotions. I thought, that by altering the images, my audience would be able to get a better idea of how the painting would behave if they were physically here. Now, there is a better sense of contrasting points, lines, and planes. The planes, I choose to depict are often two symbols that are opposite to each other. The background creates an empty space that transforms into a plane. As the “line closes to become a shape, [it becomes] a bounded plane” (Lupton 99). To oppose, the white shape forming a peace sign, a black line twists into a middle finger. Both contrasting forms are displayed in contrasting colors to simultaneously show their dichotomic meanings.  


Excerpts From: Ellen Lupton. “Graphic Design.” Apple Books. 

Please clink the image or scan the QR code to follow me on Instagram!
Please click the image or scan the QR code to follow me on Instagram!



Comments

  1. That's cool! Virtually I prefer the first one. I think the first one has a stronger color contrast. And it looks more stereoscopic because of its black shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cool work and I do love the message. I especially love the 3rd pic. The red one gives me the vibe of seriousness and tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this is very beautiful. I love the juxtaposition between the altering images. Also love the excerpt and how you explained this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your wise friend who tells you to always get your two cents in, that's such good advice!! I love your artwork and the altering colors and edits. You did a great job contextualizing your art with the text!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts