Color - Emotion, Representation, Abstraction

“Words like ‘gloomy’, ‘drab’, and ‘glittering’ each bring to mind a general climate of colors, a palette of relationships.” (p. 81)

_______

Color tells a story and evokes emotion, they can make us feel happy or sad, and they can make us feel hungry or relaxed. These reactions are rooted in psychological effects, biological conditioning, and cultural imprinting.  Since these connotations of color are so deeply rooted in our society, "colors that sit near each other on the spectrum or close together on the color wheel are analogous. Using them together provides minimal color contrast and an innate harmony because each color has some element in common with others in the sequence”  (Lupton 227). Using complementary or contrasting colors affects the visual energy and mood of any composition.

_______


When it comes to clothing I like to play a lot of colors. My style can vary from monotones to bright pops of color. Through wardrobe, I can use color to express my emotions and how I want my community to view me. Color through fashion is a cultural development of the embodied identity. Most commonly, fashion is defined as the prevailing style of dress or behavior at any given time, with the strong implication that fashion is characterized by change. Change of events, personalities, and even emotions. Color provokes those changes.

This week I chose to play with color through my personal style. From the reading, I learned that color is intertwined with emotions, and choosing those emotions relates to colors on the color wheel. The first 4 photos display color through monotones and contrasting backgrounds. Analogous color schemes use colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. To me, monotones create a put-together harmonious feeling and usually match well to produce serene and comfortable designs.

_______



I purposely chose a background that was complementary to the monotoned outfit on the color wheel to formulate an imbalance. “Using colors with contrasting values tends to bring forms into sharp focus while combining colors that are close in value softens the distinction between elements”(Lupton 238). The juxtaposition of monotones and their complementary color causes a high contrast and vibrant look, especially when used at full saturation. The high contrast forces the viewer to focus on the outfits.
_______



In this final outfit, I decided to utilize the color-blocking technique. The process of color-blocking refers to wearing blocks of colors, traditionally colors that consist of two or three different complementary colors together in one outfit. It is also considered color-blocking even if the colors are not direct opposites on the color wheel. By using the color-block method, each element of the outfit is highlighted. The color palette emulates a bright, joyful, and happy emotion.

________


Excerpt From: Ellen Lupton. “Graphic Design.” Apple Books. 


Scan the QR code or click the image to follow me on Instagram!
Thank you to @isagee_ for modeling 


_______

Comments

  1. I really love how you used elements of fashion to demonstrate color techniques. I also like how you thought specifically about the background in each image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two photos have a really strong contrast. But I like the first four photos. I like the similar color matching. Right, it looks quiet and comfortable. And I love your ways to collocate clothes by using the knowledge of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you made the idea of color so personal to your life. I think each morning when we are getting ready for the day we don't always stop to think about why we have certain colors in our closets and what those colors can say to the wider world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved reading this post! I'm really into fashion as well and it is so true how big of a role color plays into it. Your style is so unique and bold. I would definitely admire your outfits if I ever passed by you

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy! so much detail and thought went into every look along with picking the background as well to further illustrate your grasp of this weeks theme. Really enjoyed reading your interpretation and seeing it visually come to life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your take on this prompt, the outfits with the details from the shoes to the earrings and scrunchie! The way you connected the color monochromatically and the color blocking with outfits was super fun to see and I think a photoshoot is such a fun way to tackle the assignment of emotion and representation. Super cute fits, I wish you did the modelling, so I could get a glimpse of you before our coffee date when we get back to campus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts